Sunday, November 9, 2008

The long road ahead...

On Thursday I took the kids to a Naturopath Dr. in Vancouver WA. to get them tested for allergies. For a while I have known that Madelyn was possibly allergic to Oranges and Strawberries because she would develop a rash. Trey has had some skin irritations and a rash that looks like "Exema" for months now and has been itching him constantly. When we arrived and began the testing I thought that the kids would freak out but this testing was all natural and was so "kid friendly". After testing both kids the results came back that they were almost identical except for a few things. Trey can't have tomatoes, plums, or grapfruit, and Maddie can't have honeydew, or chocolate Both kids are however Gluten Intolerant, Lactose Intolerant, corn, cane sugar, fructose corn syrup, peanuts(not severe), oranges, strawberries, and soy. So your probably wondering what the heck my kids are able to eat? They can eat all meat, shellfish, vegetables, rice, natural syrup, fruit, and surprisingly cheese. (cheese has an enzyme in it that is ok I guess).
We started this new way of eating on friday and so far it has been very tough not only the kids but on us as well. The allergies that they are allergic to are very similar to Chad's side of the family as well as Chad. (He always new he is this way but never wanted to get live it). They all eat that way as well some get very sick so it is crucial to start this new diet.
I do not have these issues as far as I know but since my family is this way than it is only right for me to as well. It is going to be a long, long road for us but well worth it in the end. It will take some time to get used to such as taking food now to birthday parties, friends houses, and functions but I want our family to continue living a long and healthy life.

8 comments:

Darcy said...

So no bread! I guess you can make it from rice flour?!

Kailey said...

Wow Amanda! That's rough. If it makes you feel better, we try to avoid some of those things too, but we do it out of choice. They are learning a lot about diet and the crap that is put in food these days that it's sad. It's really hard. I give in sometimes, but it would really stink if I HAD to do it. You are an AWESOME mom and wife to take the bull by the horns like this. It's really sad about the strawberries though, I LOVE those! Keep smiling lady!!

H and E said...

Wow, that is really tough and is definately going to be a lot of work for you...but I am sure after a while you will start to get used to it. My aunt and cousin up here with us are celiacs and can' have gluten and I am amazed how they can stick to it, but it makes them feel so much better that it is worth it!

Jimmy, Kari, Caden and Parker said...

Bummer. I am so sorry to hear that you and your family need to face this challenge. However, the good news is that it is better to deal with stuff like this today versus 20 years ago. Lately, I have been trying to transform the way my family eats due to other reasons, but I can tell you it gets easier the more you get used to it. I know Seattle has a Trader Joe's, is there one near you? They have bread made with rice flour, pretty much everything is made without high fructose corn syrup. Rice milk and almond milk are pretty good too.

Good luck!

The Rider Family said...

You already have been so strong you are doing awesome with this new life change love ya :)

Swangerlings said...

That stinks! I am sure everything will be alright. I am sorry I didn't get to go to your parties, I was sick and then the next night I had to work plus I had all my kids! I guess that's what happens when your husband works graveyard.

Roni said...

A lot of Ben's family has celiac disease (gluten intolerance). It is hard to get used to, but I have been amazed at the things that they have been able to make work. I have heard there are lots of websites about eating gluten free. Also, I have noticed that Trader Joe's has lots of stuff that are gluten free....rice pasta, rice tortillas, etc. Good luck to you, I know this change won't be easy.

Emily Motter said...

Hey Amanda! I'm so sorry to hear about your new life challenge. You and Chad are such amazing parents. You will do so well teaching your children how to cope with this! You and your family are absolutely beautiful. I miss you so much and you are on my mind so much. Love you! Emmy